Saturday, February 21, 2009

Communication between us

Like many people out there, my friends and I also enjoy watching television programmes that are in another language other than English and Mandarin. Such as Japanese and Korean shows. Most of the shows we watch are not available on tv/cable so thank god for the invention of youtube! (I'm saying this with lots of gratitude. Really. Haha) We are still able get our daily fix of dramas/variety shows. Fortunately. =)

Although we are able to catch the shows on youtube, most of the time the videos are all not subbed. Either that or people simply take too long to even sub it. Haha. Thus there are many times where we just watch the show without the English subtitles. However, despite the fact that we can barely understand Korean, we are still able to understand what is going on in the show. I find it very amazing how communication works between human beings. It is amazing in a way that it isn't necessary for us to learn other languages in order to be able to understand each other. Although my friends and I do not understand the (unsubbed) videos in detail, we are still able to understand most of the "message" that is being sent across. Mainly through non-verbal communication.
Aside from verbal communication, non-verbal communication (when a stimulus other than words creates meaning in the mind of the communicator) plays a huge part in helping us understand the message that the other party is trying to convey across to us. Whether it's through actions, expressions etc. It is marvellous how we do not need to use words to express ourselves and yet others are atill able to understand what we are trying to say.

What do you guys think? Have you ever watched shows that were not in English or Mandarin and was still able to understand most of it even without the subtitles?
XOXO
atas

4 comments:

  1. wow Mynn! You have given a very apt example up there! :D When I first came to Singapore I found it quite intriguing how I was drawn to certain Mandarin shows even though I don't speak or understand the language. Even though without the subtitles I managed to interpret the messages and communicate with was showcased on screen. I did understand the story (at least I hope I interpreted it the correct way.. haha) This is where Perception influences are our language!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:58 AM

    I really enjoy watching japanese variety shows and it's not always that youtube has everything subtitled. Like you said, I can still roughly understand what is going on. I suppose that is where non verbal communication comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post here. I too find myself laughing along with the shows even when there are no subs. I guess its the actions or expressions that also helps transmit the message to the viewers

    ReplyDelete
  4. s-dle38:34 AM

    I suppose non verbal communication is very influential judging from how I could vaguely understand certain shows even when it's not in good ole English

    ReplyDelete